Monday, March 9, 2009

Martigny and Shopping...

So my weekend went almost according to plan… kind of. I set off for Martigny (sounds like martini) Switzerland Saturday morning about 8:30. My GPS told me it was a one hour drive. Obviously my GPS did not know that it likes to snow in the mountains. The road from Chamonix to Martigny was winding through the Alps. An absolutely gorgeous drive, but a little scary at times winding around huge drop offs with the slushy snow. I did my best to stay focused on the road and not get lost staring at the amazing scenery.

As I rounded the last corner for Martigny, the view was pretty spectacular. The entire hill side leading down to the valley was lined with vineyards. They are all brown now, but I can only imagine what they look like in the spring and summer when in bloom.

I found my parking lot at the museum I was going to. The museum did not open for 10 minutes so I found a sign for the Roman amphitheatre ruins and walked there. This entire city is a Roman ruin! There are walls all over the city that date back to 50 B.C.-50 A.D. The amphitheatre once seated 5,000 spectators for gladiator games. You can see the gates where I can only imagine a tiger being let out as the gladiators face off with it.

From there I went to the museum. It was very cool. I happened to take an illegal picture of a random wall of paintings. As I got closer I realized it was paintings by Cezanne, Van Gogh and Picasso!! Pretty cool. There was also a neat sculpture garden otuside... I give it a thumbs up!!

There was also an old automobile museum inside with cars from 1900-1940. It smelled like an old attic, but was still very cool to see.

From there I walked the city. That took about 30 minutes. There is not a lot to see and if I go back I hope to do a hike through the vineyards to the castle.

From there I drove back to Chamonix, had lunch and did a little shopping. End of the season sales… I love them!! Got a new hi-tech vest and hiking backpack.

On Sunday I had planned to ski, but still nursing a small running injury and decided to just do a nice walk around the lake and pack for my trip. I leave tomorrow for Sweden and then for home on the 19th. I am excited to be going home. As most of you know I am close to my family and friends and those I love so being here is great, but also lonely at times. It will be nice to see some friendly faces soon.

Take care. Au revoir!

1 comment:

MollieJoy said...

Glad you had a good (and safe) trip. The place looks beautiful! And I really like that thumb statue - I think it would go quite nicely in my yard. :)

See you next week!!!!