Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Our Extreme Morning

We started our Zambia adventure by doing a half day abseil package. That meant we got picked up in a crazy open sided truck at our hotel, drove about 15 minutes and then met the guys who would have our lives in their hands for the next few hours.


We did an activity called the Flying Fox. We got harnessed up and then they told us to run until we hit the green line and then we had to dive!

I have to say it was pretty cool. We got to do it twice so we could get the feel for it the first time then really get a good run the second time. We flew high over the gorge. It was pretty cool. From there we went to rappel into the gorge. I had never rappelled before so the 30 second tutorial was great. They had us lean off the safe side of the platform in our harness and rope, he said sit back, now push off and release rope. Well I did a little but if I released any more I'd be on my behind on the dirt so I chose to just learn on the fly.


This was the scariest time for me. Leaning back over a 150 foot + drop scared me a lot. But I didn't look down and kept pushing off the wall until I hit rock bottom :)

All smiles at the bottom. After this we hiked over to do the Gorge Swing. But that will be a post on its own. I got some video of one of our group doing it and some great snapshots of me taking the plunge.
Thanks for checking in.... more to come from Zambia.

No comments: