Monday, August 16, 2010

Welcome to Zambia

After a short flight from Johannesburg we arrived in Livingstone, Zambia. We waited for 15 minutes in line to pay $50 for our visa. Our bags were waiting for us and so was our shuttle driver. He informed us we had about a 25 minute drive to the hotel. We were pumped to be here and ready for some time off of work.

While at the airport I thought it would be a good idea to get some local currency, although we were not aware o the conversion rate versus the dollar. I went to the ATM and saw that my options were 10,000, 20,000, 50,000 or 100,000 +. Knowing it was a tourist town I was timid to get 100,000 so I opted for 20,000. One one of the guys I was with had an iPhone and he pulled up the currency converter. After a minute of waiting and some nerves about how much money I might have just taken out of my account, he informed me that I had just taken out $4.12. The lucky thing was that Zambia accepted US dollars, Euros, South African Rand, and more. It was a very easy country to get around in, sight see and shop. English is the native language and there is little corruption and crime. We felt safe the entire time we were there.

We arrived at our hotel and were greeter with a hand washing and a refreshing beverage while we got checked in.

We got checked in and took in some views of the hotel and the surrounding area. It was a beautiful lodge type hotel, with great rooms, great decks and great views. Oh, an some of the best drinks and food I have ever found at a hotel. All in all it was a great find for our hotel. It was located in the heart of a national park so we were advised to not go outside the fence around the hotel after 6pm. Elephant, hippos and more were known to be found in the area around the hotel. It was such a neat experience to know that these animals were all around us and we were truly in their world. Here's some pics of our hotel.



Well that's it for tonight. I have at least 5 or 6 more blogs to do from my trip to Zambia. I am excited to share the rest of my journey with you. Check back soon!

1 comment:

. said...

OMG - can't wait to hear/see the rest of your blogs...have to admit that I was LOL about your conversion story...glad it the outcome was in your favor! Missed talking to you tonight - hope we can catch up real soon!
Love & miss you,
Sara