Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Day Two

I discovered how these people stay thin, portion control!! They have the smallest bowls and cups I have ever seen. Seriously, where is my monster cereal bowl??? Actually, it is perfect. I am enjoying my time here. I had my nice breakfast and lunch with the guys yesterday, then went home and cooked my first dinner. Of course it was Italian, what else would you eat in France?? It was actually really good. Some tortellini with am amazing tomato sauce, some parmesan cheese on top and of course some amazing French bread.

I capped off the night by watching a movie on my computer and then calling it a night around 11pm. Got up today and had my bowl of oatmeal, tea, and my tiny cup of juice, more like a shot, but it worked. It is really weird eating breakfast at home. I do not leave for work until 8:15am which is over an hour later than I am used to. So I get up, shower, make my little breakfast and enjoy the scenery. Then it is off for my hike….

Now, I don’t know if I can properly explain how high up on this hill I am living. Pretty much at the top. So the driveway is not possible with my VW Golf. I park further up the hill on another small patch of land that they own and slide/walk my way down to the house. Not too bad at night, with a light. Although I had not done this during the day, it was not bad. No groin pulls or anything from sliding down the hill. But this morning, walking up the hill, in snow, with my boots, at altitude…. Dang. Let’s just say I got my heart rate up a little high than expected on my first early morning in the office. But it only took 5 minutes to get to my car. Crossed only one barbed wire fence, encountered some strange looking animal footprints and kept checking behind me for the wild boars that are on the land. All good fun at 8am!!

So the morning in the office flew by, I am super busy which I love!! At lunch I decided to go try out this trail around a lake right by the office. The guys in the office told me they did not want to come with me because there are wild men and wild dogs and I would probably be attached. They are so much fun here!! Anyway, I found my way there, and did a lap around the lake. I was running on snow/slush most of the time and it only took me 20 minutes to do my lap. I guess I can do 2 laps next time. It is gorgeous though, looking at the mountains all the way around. Temp was mid 30’s so not too bad. See a picture of the lake below. After that it was back to the office and that brings me to now. Day two, pretty good. I am off in a little while to go pack for our trip to Tunisia. I leave for the airport early tomorrow with the team. And I did learn that I will be riding a camel, I swear to God. I will be sure to get pictures of that!!

Check back soon. Miss all and love you.

Au revoir.

2 comments:

. said...

Hope you can find time to blog daily...because the experience you are having is just incredible! And I'm sure you're right - this trip will be a life-changing experience for you...can't wait to see in what ways! Hope you're feeling a little more settled and beginning to enjoy the experience.
With much love...

MollieJoy said...

WOW! Europe sounds exciting - I can just see the slogan now - "France- where even getting to your car is an adventure!" hehehe Wild boars? Srsly? You'll be able to write the screenplay to 'European Vacation II' when you get back!

I'm glad that things are going so well and the landscape and work are so enjoyable. :)

Enjoy Tunisia - can't wait to hear about camel riding! Watch out! They spit!

Thinking of you!

Love,
M