Saturday, January 24, 2009

The World Around Me...

As I am living this life away from my own, I am thinking about how it might change me. On our drive through Tunisia and as I stay here and see the people and this place, I am beginning to see a change in me. It is a positive change, as one would hope for with a growth opportunity like the one I have been presented. As we were driving and I saw the school children walking on the side of the road to their homes, I realized how lucky we are. Their homes were maybe 7 feet high, and 12 feet by 12 feet buildings. I can only imagine the condition inside, but if the outside was any indication, then it could not be good. The streets are lined with vendors selling fruit and meat. There are countless old mopeds whizzing by us as we wind our way through the bumpy, water filled streets. It had rained for 3 days, which is rare in this area. The women are covered as this is a Muslim country and I am thanking the powers that be for the freedom I have back home.

As we drive I see amazing things which I wrote about yesterday. The salt lake, camels, the desert. All very beautiful and I cannot wait to see more as we ride through the desert later today and again later this week.

The last bit of wisdom I gained happened the first night we arrived and were setting up at the hotel. I was staring up at the stars and recognized one of my favorite constellations, Orion. It was amazing to me though, that the familiar belt was facing a completely different direction and it hit me that no matter where I am in the world, things are the same in the universe, but it is my perspective of those things that changes. I am hoping to see the world differently and remember to look at it with new eyes whenever I have the chance. I think this is how I will grow on this trip and beyond.

Well I am off to work for a little while then we are taking a 2 hour ATV ride into the desert for a BBQ lunch in the middle of the Sahara….. well I am guessing it won’t be the middle, but you know what I mean.

Hope to have pictures to share soon. Check back for more from Tunisia, I ma here for 5 more days.

Au revoir.

2 comments:

MollieJoy said...

What an awesome adventure you're on my dear. I think that your "epiphany" about the universe and perspective is profound, and that truly experiencing that really will change you, in small ways as well as large.

Glad Africa is treating you well - just imagine - you're in a desert and I'm writing to you from a place where 3 ft away it's -10 below zero!

We are not only truly lucky to have been born and raised where, but also when we were. And to have excellent people to share our thoughts and hopes with? All the better.

Take care babe! Looking forward to pictures! :D

. said...

Whoa...deep, profound, and very true thoughts...I often have those same thoughts whenever we travel somewhere. I remember the first time I had that "feeling" - it was when I came to visit Dominic in the Bay Area for the first time - I told myself that even if I moved here, I'd always try to appreciate the beauty of what's around me...appreciation...that's what it's all about...and yes, we do have so much.

Great to talk to you today - glad we're getting to talk so much (makes it feel like you're not so far away....2000 vs 6000 miles :)
Love you!