Saturday, January 31, 2009

Getting Used to France...

So when I decided to move to France I knew things would be difficult at first, but yesterday I had some more fun stuff to add to my list. I had to go to the grocery store so the guys at work told me where to go. It is one town over and I made it there without my GPS. I also needed gas so I stopped at the first station and it would not take either of my credit cards so instead of paying with the cash I had, I decided to keep going.

I went to the grocery store and made my way to all of the aisles and got everything on my list. I got to the front of the store to check out and was a little upset when the lady tried to ask me how much my bananas weighed. How should I know, don’t you have a scale? I didn’t say that, but short version, I did not get any bananas. I guess I need to weigh them in the back.

So after paying, I go to the gas station outside of the grocery store. Again, my cards will not work. I call the guy at the office to see if I need to prepay with cash or how it works. He said, just pump then pay at the window. So I go to the window, try to give the lady money before I pump my gas. She speaks no English and proceeds to tell me to go to pump 5, 6, 7, or 8. After thinking about the numbers she just said in French. I figured it out, since numbers are one thing I know in French. So I go to pump 5, put over $60 worth of gas in my VW Golf. And it’s diesel, the cheap gas here!! I paid for my gas, and went on my way.

One thing that it has been hard to get used to are the small streets. I swear I am going to lose my mirror passing some cars on the road I live on. But I am adjusting and getting used to it. It is just part of the learning experience.

Today was a good day. Skiing all day with some coworkers and then dinner at their house with some of their friends. We have decided that each couple or single person will make dinner one night for the group. The food must be native to their region. So I am making burgers on the grill and my famous potatoes. Should be fun!

Check back tomorrow for more skiing news and some pictures. Miss you all and especially my peeps who are in MN right now for the Big Ten reunion, wish I was there.

No comments: