Thursday, January 29, 2009

Farewell Tunisia... What a Way To Go!!

So last night we had our closing dinner for the French dealer meeting. It will go down as one of the coolest experiences of my life. To start, we all gathered outside the hotel as the drummers played and the dancers danced. As we began the procession for the ¼ mile walk to the edge of the desert, we were lead by 3 men dressed in full Tunisian garb mounted on horses, dressed up as well.

We marched our way, all 200 people, into the desert where the camels and donkey drawn carriages awaited us. Me and two of my coworkers asked the classic question, camel or donkey? Of course we chose camel. It’s a once in a lifetime chance for me to ride a camel in the Sahara desert, so I had to take it.

We walked down the lineup of camels looking for the one that caught our eye. I had a native grab my arm and lead me to my camel. Not sure of his or her name, but I will call it Judy. Just seemed to fit. As I climbed on, as soon as I was seated, Judy hopped up. Scared the crap out of me as she was very tall and I was not ready for that. But once I got stable, it was an amazing view. Over 100 camels standing all around me waiting to walk into the desert. I had a smile on my face the entire time. I captured some good pictures, but as the sun had set some are a little blurry. There is a slideshow of all of the adventures of the night on the right of the page.

Once we got to dinner, the atmosphere was amazing. There was a large bonfire in the middle of camp ignited by palm leaves. There were 14 tents set up for us to eat dinner. Each had two long tables in them set up for 12 people each. We of course crammed 16 at our table. I ate with the staff of Polaris France. They are having fun with me teaching me new words and phrases. They are very patient with me and so far they seem to like having me around. I help them with their English as well which they appreciate. I have started a list in my notebook of phrases and words I have learned in French and their English meaning, my study guide if you will. I hope to keep adding to it as I go.
Dinner was served and started off with my new favorite in Tunisia, barley soup. Served with of course, French bread. Then it was starters, not sure what was in each piece, but I like most of them. Then came the main course. I am not sure what kind of animal it was, but below is a picture of what it looked like before it made it to my plate.

It was not bad. I have been making an effort to try everything new I see, except the fish. I was told that it is not good in this part of the country as we are pretty far inland.

After dinner we joined the dancing circle around the bonfire with the drummers and dancers. It was a lot of fun and everyone was smiling all night. I made it back to my room around 11pm, so not too late and now I am waiting for our team to leave for the airport in an hour or so. I will be in France for 3 days before I take off for England for 4 days. I will try skiing this weekend and doing laundry and some shopping. Should be a good weekend.

I will also be talking to some good friends this weekend. The 10 year reunion of when we won Big Ten’s is this weekend and Terri, Jenny, Amy and Emily will be hanging out. It is on their agenda to call me and give me the good stories on Saturday and Sunday. I look forward to those calls.
Hope all is well. Signing off from Tunisia, with love.

3 comments:

. said...

I can't believe how much you've done in LESS THAN TWO WEEKS!!! Great job with the blog...hope you can keep up this pace because we love hearing the stories of your life! Hope we can skype this weekend...

It's Me Again said...

Just read the blog & caught up with you. You're doing a fantastic job on the blog...well done! Hopefully we can Sype soon...but I know that Mum comes first! LOL
--Kathryn

MollieJoy said...

What an amazing experience! SOO awesome! So, do camels really spit?